Friday, June 29, 2007

Sister

I recently finished reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. First of all, I would recommend it to anyone who loves a book that will make you think while also captivating you with its enchanting characters.
The book tells the tale of Kate and Anna two very remarkable sisters. Kate develops a rare form of luekemia at age 2 and her parents decide to have another child that is an exact match to Kate's blood and marrow type so that a rare cord transfusion can be made at Anna's birth. Essentially, Anna was created to keep Kate alive. I don't want to say too much because then the read is ruined, but it explores many ideas such as favortism in parenting and is doing what is best for one child good for the others, along with when is it old enough for a child to have control of their own body.
Among all of the "issues" I could only think of my sister and my family. I don't know what I would do without her. She is my best friend and keeper of my identity. I am Katie's sister. She is smart beyond belief and sensitive and beautiful and her charisma and style never cease to amaze me.
In thinking of my sister, I thought of another pair of sister's that Katie and I admired and looked up to- our grandmother and her twin sister. Both were beautiful and brave and strong willed. My grandmother died in May of kidney failure, and I could only think of Auntie and her pain at knowing she had the capacity to save her sister, but not the ability. I was unable to go to the funeral and grieve and celebrate with my family over my grandmother.
I can feel her spirit though.
Katie said she never realized how much Auntie (my grandma's twin) and Granny were alike until Granny's physical presence was no longer felt in a room. I can imagine, though, that Auntie still says "Sistah" just the same. I can smile and hear Katie yell Sis in the middle of a store, just like I can imagine Granny would have done. They found their identity in one another, the Wilkinson twins.
Along with these two sister pairs, I began to think of another one. Shelia and Habibe always kid that they are sisters. I see it now more than ever. The way that they can understand each other without using words and the tears that come to Habibe's eyes when she thinks to the future, knowing there will be a day when Shelia will not be at her side in Macedonia. They feel the same. They can't help but let their hearts be broken when they see a need that cannot be satisfied.
I also thought of a very special fraternity who I call my sisters. Also I think of my best friends.
I think I struggle sometimes with who I am, and I know I struggle with who God wants me to be. I feel a little re-assurance that there is someone out there who is keeping my identity for me and that there are other someone's who I call my sisters who keep that for me as well. God did a beautiful thing when he gave us others who we can confide in and find our confidence in.

No comments: