Friday, June 22, 2007

legacy

After reading Shelia's blog entry yesterday I had to take many deep breaths before I was ready to face the world again. My cheeks were a little tear stained and my eyes a little puffy. I sat in awe at the computer. That is just it, she nailed it. She reminded me of what we know in our heart of hearts, that is that one person in the kingdom of God is worth more than whole nations. Habibe has helped many "ones" and still continues to do so, but the irony of the post was that as Habibe reminded Shelia of all of the people she helped she left out one very important person.

She left out herself. Shelia, I agree, when I grow up I want to be like Habibe but I also want to be like you. To be so humble that you don't see your own legacy. Habibe was born with a servant heart, but Shelia has embraced her and loved her along so that she can put that into action.

The thing about Habibe, not even unlike my own mother, is that she will do for other people what she would never do for herself. She barely has the means to do it even for herself. She is the most beautiful picture of the character of God. She always lets the little children come, she humbles herself before her neighbor to provide for their needs and she works miracles.

2 comments:

karen Gilbert said...

Thanks, Mary Beth for reminding me about the kingdom work. It continues to point me to the commandment to love God, love neighbor! It is in the loving and caring for neighbor, whom ever that is, that I demonstrate God's love. That will look different for every person.
It also stretches me out of my comfort zone.

Keep up the reminding! Love, Mom

Shelia Earl Photography said...

Oh my!! It is Sunday afternoon, and I just turned on the computer for the first time since we went to Kosovo on Friday. So I had not read this posting. Mary Beth, thank you SOO much for the encouragement and support you have been these few weeks you have been with us. I am going to keep this posting and save it on my computer, so that when I get discouraged or just tired --- I can reread this posting. Thank you for the profound affect you have had on all those around you this summer --- including me. Love, Shelia