I'm not sure about you, but I feel like I have been living in a whirlwind these past two weeks. I am seriously ready for Spring break and am looking forward to just a little slow down in the midst of the semester. It seems I have to keep reminding myself that this seminary thing is something that I can and will do.
One of the most unique aspects of the curriculum at BTSR is its emphasis on Spirituality (and yes I work in the admissions office, let me know how I may be of help). This semester I am taking my required spirituality course and I am loving the excuse it is giving me to slow down and take time to simply do, nothing. One of our assignments for class is to take an hour of "holy leisure" for ourselves every week. This can take the form of almost anything. I must admit, this is harder than it seems!
I have been given the opportunity to read An Altar in the World again for this class. I love this because I loved the book the first time around and am certainly loving it again. In one of the chapters, Taylor explores the practice of walking this earth. So, today I took the opportunity to get in on this practice. We have a wonderful labyrinth across the street from our campus so I took my time during my run this afternoon to slow down and walk the course of the labyrinth. For those of you who don't know about labyrinths the point is to follow the path. You can take time to meditate, pray or stand in silence at any point, but you must follow the path to the center and then follow that same path out the other way. The way in is the way out.
As I started walking, I found myself frustrated at times. I wanted to just jump the lines and end up in the middle, but as I stayed the course I found satisfaction in making it to the middle and I as I turned to make my way back out, I did so with gratitude because it gave me time to walk with a different attitude. I had to stay focused on where I was in the path or else I would miss the turns. I had to give up some amount of my control and follow what was laid out before me. It was a good practice for me to walk the earth. In this spiritual practice, the journey of the labyrinth is the point.
I encourage you to find a place to walk the earth. It is such a great feeling to know that the ground will not fail. My feet will walk without my instruction and my mind can wander to wonder.
3 comments:
That would be the Hatchery...and I'm looking forward to being able to walk again.
Dad
i am taking time to walk this week on my spring break too! (even though it has gotten chillier outside in atlanta)... love you mb!
Mary Beth,
Thank you for this inspiration. I started walking recently - even when it was colder than I like -- but then today the sun was shining a bit. Made all the difference.
Tim, I am hoping that your walking time begins very soon.
Love you, Mary Beth - give Caleb our love, too. Shelia
Post a Comment