Sunday, December 23, 2012

so much for joy...

Well. I missed Joy Sunday. I got lost in all of the sadness of last weekend and I forgot to post about joy.   I couldn't help but revel in the irony that on the week we specifically focus on peace in the Christian year, there was such violence that prevailed. 

You must know I am referencing the massacre that happened in Newtown. I am not sure what more to say except that it is time to start moving from words to action. We have to talk about mental illness; we have to talk about guns and hold people responsible; we have to start paying attention to our family and friends when they offer warning signs; we have to hold the ones we love close and tell them over and over how much we love them. 

Though there was sadness and pain, I am grateful that my God can contain both my sorrow and my joy. The scripture passage for last week speaks of a baby leaping for joy in the womb. How much more can I leap for joy at all the wonder this season brings? 

And so, I long for the shalom, the wholeness that only God can bring to this world and I revel in the joy. The joy of a newborn baby born to save the world. A newborn baby born to bring God close to my sadness, my pain and my joy. The promise that someday the fullness of God's Kingdom will be come and leap for joy that for now, I have a part in bringing that Kingdom to light. 


"Come, festively sing while awaiting the birth,
join angels in dancing from heaven to earth.
Wave banners of good news, lift high thankful praise.
One candle is lit for the joy of these days."

-One Candle is Lit, Chalice Hymnal, Mary Anne Parrott

1 comment:

a. meredith said...

Thank you for this. :)