Thursday, December 8, 2011

making preparations

(A scene from my nativity)

Last night we celebrated the Hanging of the Greens at church. The children were all a bustle before the service; they were excited to participate in the service by hanging the Chrismons on the tree and could not help but flock to the first two pews where the ornaments were being laid out. Parents were busy helping the Christmas tree fill out by pulling branches down. The youth were receiving their direction and the band was practicing at the front. Church members were gathering and coming to to be a part of this tradition at Glen Allen.

 I sat in the midst of the craziness and just wanted to know who was in charge!? Then I realized that this was a small example of what my life is like right now, well most always. I sit in the middle of the bustle and watch as things happen all around me and I forget that there is excitement in making preparation. So, I let myself sit in the bustle and quieted myself for the service that was about to begin. 

Caleb and I have been preparing our home for Christmas. We spent a full afternoon making our tree ready and have made our lists and done some of our shopping. We are celebrating with parties galore. We are preparing to end another semester of school. We are waiting to see my family and making preparations for their visit. It seems I am busy in the bustle, sitting wanting to know who is in charge!? 

The Season of Advent is time we are given to make preparation. For me, there is just as much excitement in the time of preparation as there is in the main event of Christmas. 
The preparation comes in the lighting of an advent candle; it is in the countdown calendars and the traditions of Christmas (like Messiah sing-a-longs, tacky sweater parties and Hanging of the Greens). We are invited to hurry up and wait!
So, I will sit in the bustle and quiet myself to make preparation for the tiny babe who will come to change the world, again. 

1 comment:

Shelia Earl Photography said...

I love this writing, Mary Beth. You are a great storyteller - don't stop!! Love to read about your life and events that happen to you two. Love you, Shelia