I have been thinking a lot about the return trip "home." We put a lot of emphasis on the place and the word.
The word home can bring up a lot of emotions, sometimes, it is a dose of depression, like your first return home from going away to school. It seems you have to go home to find out that home is not the place you are returning to, but the place that you have just come from. It is a hard thing to realize. It can create a lot of confusion. Sometimes the word grants a dose of excitement. You remember where you came from and who you were along your way, and work your way to finding out who you are in the present.
Everytime I talk about going home, I think of Shelia. She teased me so often over the summer about my confusion over home. It is true, I am a very confused girl. I leave little bits of my heart everywhere, that way it is easier to return to that home. I always liked the quote that I found in one of my favorite book series, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, it goes something like this, "You have to live life like a turtle, you have to learn to take home with you." I kind of like this. Though it is sometimes difficult to define where your home is, in this sense, you are always home. In this way, all along your journey, you find a place to call yours. You find people to travel with you and you have experiences that only ready you for a final resting place that need not be a cause for confusion.
I am excited to see what a new year and new semester will bring. There are more opportunities in this life than I could ever dream up. Yet, it is hard to leave people and places behind. I find myself only being glad they once were mine, and press on to the future for what is to come.
New Years Resolution: To find another new place I can lovingly call home.
To change the world- even if it is just my own.
3 comments:
I LOVE this posting, Mary Beth. I am supposed to preach at Christopher and Amy's church while we are there taking care of Anna & Sophie. It is so strange that this is kinda what I have been planning the sermon around. You have given me more "food for thought". Way to go!!! You are SOO wise for your age --- I, for one, am learning from you. Keep up the good work. Love you, Shelia
MB,
Here are the lyrics to the song I sent you. Hope you can play it. Just download the Rhapsody player. It's one of my favorites. It spoke to me the first time I heard it...not to mention it's sung by Placido...lol. I think the relevance to your post will be obvious....
An American Hymn from the movie East of Eden
I have seen a summer's day
That slowly opens like a rose
Along a quiet road that wanders by
And I have smiled and wonder'd
Where it goes
I have stumbled through the night
Alone as any man can be
Then found a silent canyon full of stars
And in my heart I heard them telling me
I was home
The gentle winds, the rains that fall
The tallest trees, I'm part of it all
I've seen the silver mountaintops
And golden prairies on my way
Now everywhere I go across the land
I stand so proudly in the sun and say,
I am home
I've dreamed of Eden all my life
I find it more and more each day
Now everywhere I go across the land
I stand so proudly in the sun and say
I am home.
Love,
Dad
Welcome "home". Let's have a meal together soon.
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment