Monday, November 5, 2007

a wal-mart encounter

I went to put my pictures in to be developed at Wal-Mart so that I could go back later on Saturday and pick them up, I was expecting to go fast but there was already a man at the machine that I wanted to use. So, I waited. The machine was taking a little while and he couldn't get the picture just the way he wanted it. He saw me waiting and struck up a conversation. He asked me where I was from and I said, "Dallas, Texas," and then I preceded to tell him that I was a student at Samford, to which he replied, "Well, what are you studying?" I told him I just declared a religion major and to that he got very excited and asked, "So, you're gonna be a preacher?" I said, "Well, I don't really know." He leaned in closer and said, "but, you know what the great thing is? We are all called to minister in our own way." (and yes, this really did happen. :]) I said, "Yes, sir." and he asked me if I really believed what he was saying and I replied, "Yes, with my whole heart." He introduced himself to me and then went on to tell me about a place in Colman, AL that he thought I would enjoy because it was a great place for discernment, he thought it would benefit me to find my way there. He also began to describe the project he was working on with the picture. It was a tombstone in Ireland that had a story behind it like none other I have heard. It was something that he had researched and was important to him because it just was.
By this time, I had taken my place at the machine and was ready to begin my process of choosing pictures and so, he turned and waved goodbye, and told me caringly that I was a great listener. The last thing I heard him say was a teasing comment to a man with a cart, "Shall We Dance?"

Ok God, you got me.
My dad and I have been talking about this life and this dance we do with God, how too often we take the lead, but if we would just let God take us and dance it would be something more than we could ever imagine.
This was such a reminder to me that there are so many cool people in this world and that if you open yourself to the world- encounters like this can happen everyday.
This man knew nothing more about me than that I was patiently waiting to use a machine, yet he was the sweetest presence of Christ to me that day.

3 comments:

Preston Bright said...

Mary Beth,
Your mother gave me your blog address in July, but I'm just not getting around to finding you.

You are wonderfully talented person, and your writing is profound.

The Wal-mart story is beautiful and encouraging.

You mentioned that you are thinking about a major. I would suggest english literature. No matter what you do in the future, you must keep writing. I majored in sociology, and it has been helpful over the years, but this would not develop your gift of writing.

Preston

Mom and Dad said...

I was just listening to a song by Monk and Neagle (at least I think that's their name) about how we pass by people who need us. One of the lines asks, "What if it were Jesus and we just walk away?" I wonder if that's not true. Are the people we meet everyday simply Jesus in that form? What if it's not people that God puts in our way, but God Himself? There's something profound here about the triune God as a community of self-giving, other-affirming, community building love and the opportunities we have everyday to BE God by being self-giving, other-affirming, community-building people as God is in God's very self. When we understand and do this, we find our very selves in the act.

Shelia Earl Photography said...

Well, you just keep on writing such good stuff. Maybe Preston is right --- whatever you decide to do for a major -- you are a writer, Mary Beth. Don't ever give that up -- but think of it as a significant part of your calling!!

What a powerful story of the "presence of Christ" -- not only in the man at the photo counter, but that is what you were for him as well. I love the imagery that we see all around us -- and many times in the most surprising places!!! Wal-Mart, no less!!

Love you and still miss you being here, Shelia